Search for a supernova and an asteroid in these images.
This pair of images of the galaxy M74 are from Antares Observatory, Charleston, IL.
One has a supernova star, SN 2002ap.
These images of M74 are from the Yerkes Rooftop Observatory - North 10 inch Telescope. One image constains the supernova SN 2002ap and another contains Asteroid 24560. How good are you at spotting these objects?
You can investigate these .fts images with HOU-IP software. Download the .fts images here.
Searching Tools! If you are examining new images and think you have found something new, here are some webpages to help you figure it out.
- Skyview: Internet'sVirtual Telescope http://skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/skvadvanced.pl
- HOU Image Archive Univ. of Chicago Yerkes Observatory 24 inch Telescope; Yerkes Rooftop Telescope North 10 inch; Yerkes Rooftop Telescope South 8 inch.
- HOU Advanced Search (order by Request ID Descending)
Asteroids or Minor Planets
- Minor Planet Center Checker http://cfaps8.harvard.edu/~cgi/CheckSN.COM
- Ephermeris Generator http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/eph
- HOU Supernova Research Project http://www.nmhschool.org/astronomy/supernova.htm
- International Supernovae Network http://www.supernovae.net/isn.htm
- American Association of Variable Star Observers AAVSO http://www.aavso.org
Other Links http://www.handsonuniverse.org/activities/Explorations/Links/index.html
Vivian Hoette, Education Outreach Coordinator
The University of Chicago Yerkes Observatory, Williams Bay, WI. 53191