Welcome to http://www.handsonuniverse.org/activities/Explorations/SNSearch/indexngc6482.html
NGC 6482 New Image
Yerkes Observatory 24 inch Telescope, May 15, 2002
HOU students, Sarah and Jason, of teacher, Tim Spuck, Oil City HS, Pennsylvania, requested an image of galaxy NGC6482.
NGC 6482 Reference Image
Digitized Sky Survey (Skyview Virtual Observatory)
Compare the images taken for Sarah and Jason with the Digitized Sky Survey image accessed from Skyview.
See the bright star next to the fuzzy galaxy core! What do you think? Is this a Supernova?
What if you adjust the contrast in the new image? Look here!
Could this be a star in our own Milky Way Galaxy that appears by the NGC 6482 galaxy core?
In the Digital Sky Survey images, the originals were photographs. Long exposures saturated the galaxy area, so detail is lost in this region.
NGC 6482 is in the constellation, Hercules. Coordinates of NGC 6482 are:
Right Ascension: 17 hours 51 minutes 49 seconds
Declination: +23 degrees 4.6 minutes.
More Jpegs of our images ...
Compare images taken during May, then in June 2 weeks later. Do you see any change?
- NGC 6482, Yerkes 24 inch telescope, clear 3 minutes, June 01, 2002
- NGC 6482, Yerkes 24 inch telescope, V, 1 minute, June 01, 2002
- NGC 6482, Yerkes 24 inch telescope, clear 3 minutes, May 15, 2002
- NGC 6482, Yerkes 24 inch telescope, R, 1 minute, May 15, 2002
- NGC 6482, Yerkes 24 inch telescope, V, 1 minute, May 15, 2002
- NGC 6482, Yerkes 24 inch telescope, B, 1 minute, May 15, 2002
- NGC 6482, Yerkes North, Rooftop10 inch (ELM) clear 20s, May 14, 2002
Jpeg views may be misleading. Consider downloading and opening the following FTS images to do more analysis.
FTS Images of NGC 6482
Download selected HOU FTS Images of NGC6482. Open images using HOU-IP software. See if you find changes in images taken on different dates. Does the star that seems to be by the core of the galaxy change relative brightness compared to other stars in the image?
Find out more about HOU.
Join HOU and Order HOU Materials including software.
HS Teachers' Opportunity Summer 2002: Register for NSF study.
** HOU™ Explorations * * Hands-On Universe Home Page **