What's new at CARA
DASI detects polarization of the
Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) 27 Oct 2002
- Randy and friends travel to the South Pole! 28 Nov 2001
- REU Opportunities for summer 2002
- CARA/CfCP research for undergraduate women and minorities. 11
- ACBAR and DASI are looking for winterovers for 2003. 22 Oct 2001
- The Summer 2001 REU student presentations 16 Oct 2001
- CARA and the Center for Cosmological Physics are teaching a short course on "The New Cosmology" for college teachers. 4 Sep 2001
- DASI announces new CMB results supporting inflationary cosmology at the APS spring meeting! 30 Apr 2001
- Americans are airlifted from McMurdo. 25 Apr 2001
- An ailing doctor is evacuated from the South Pole as polar winter approaches.
- AST/RO wants to hire an experimentalist for an eventual winterover. 28 Feb 2001
- The Space Explorers program is looking for an evaluation consultant. 11 Jan 2001
- Randy and Patricia journey to the South Pole. 4 Dec 2000
- REU Opportunities for summer 2001
- Once again targeting women and minorities. 1 Nov 2000
- DASI gets its petals (ground shields)!
- See the virtual tour
page for more cool photos.
- Press coverage!
Yahoo.com covers the Millenium at the South Pole and
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette covers the snow bike!!
- Snow Bike!
- The Snow Bike
at the South Pole!
- REU Opportunities for summer 2000
- This year, targeting women and minorities.
- Site visit talks
- The talks from the October 1999 site visit have been posted.
- RADARSAT-1 and Antarctica
- For 18 days during the Southern Hemisphere spring of 1997, a
NASA-launched Canadian satellite called RADARSAT studied Antarctica
as part of NASA's Earth Science Enterprise. Although they're not
affiliated with CARA, we're listing them here because the images
are pretty neat: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/imagewall/antarctica.html.
- YSI 1999
- Lab book and pictures
from YSI 1999 are up!
- Article on DASI from the Tribune, 31 Aug
- The AST/RO team is hiring a postdoc.
- Research Experiences for Undergrads
- Many undergrads are working with CARA this summer.
Here is a summary of all of the
- Chautauqua Short Course on Cosmology
- CARA is teaching one of the Chautauqua Short
Courses for College Teachers, specifically
on Cosmology at the Millenium. Course runs June 14-16, 1999.
- DASI comes home
- DASI, which will be deployed at the South Pole this coming
austral summer, took a scheduled detour to the University of Chicago where
the DASI team will test it and practice assembling it.
Pictures of the arrival are online!
19 Apr 99
- Arctic Ice Prowler hits the news!
- Watch the Discovery Channel the week of Apr 19 for a story on the
"Arctic Ice Prowler", a snow bike that students at the Art
Institute of Pittsburgh have been designing for the South Pole. The
bike will be tested in Antarctica this austral summer. This work
is sponsored by the NSF through the Advanced Technological Education program.
This project has gotten lots of good press -- see
this page for lots of links and pictures.
posted here 19 apr 99.
- Observing with AST/RO
- Proposals now being accepted for the 1999 Austral winter.
12 Mar 99
- John Carlstrom gets $1 million award!
- CARA Associate Director John Carlstrom has been given a McDonnell
Award. Read the University Press Release. 26 Jan 1999
at the Art Instute of Pittsburgh are working
with CARA to design a Snow Bike.
- ...and they're getting
of great press! Dec 1998
- FIRS to be in Adler exhibit
- CARA Director Steve Meyer's FIRS dewar will be part of an exhibit at Adler
Planetarium and Astronomy Museum.
is about to start taking proposals.
- Proposals are for observing programs for
March-October 1999. For more information, see
Proposal materials available circa Nov 1, 1998. Proposals
due Dec 1, 1998.
- Aurora pictures!
- Robert Schwarz has some gorgeous aurora pictures on his
at the South Pole page. Pointer added here 12 Oct 98.
- 9-15 Aug 1998 -- Space Explorers Invade Wisconsin!
- The annual Yerkes Summer Institute for the Space Explorers
is being held this week at Yerkes Observatory. "40+ students,
11 experiments, Lots of telescopes, lots of fun!"
Pictures are online!
- 10 June 1998 -- AAS meeting
- Special Session at the American
Astronomical Society Meeting in San Diego, CA, June 10, 1998.
- 2 June 98
- CARA Associate Director John Carlstrom wins
MacArthur "genius award"!
- 15 May 98
- SPARO sees
- April 26- May 2, 1998 - NSF Science and Technology Week
- We were involved in the National
Science Foundation's Science and
Technology Week 1998 since this year's theme was "Polar Connections."