Cosmology at the Millennium!
A Chautauqua course is intended to communicate the latest advances in
research to undergraduate college teachers of science so that they in turn
can translate it to the classroom. This spring CARA organized a Chautauqua
course titled Cosmology at the Millennium!
that was hosted by the University of
Chicago. The three-day intensive short course explored both theoretical and
experimental aspects of modern cosmology including laboratory exercises.
This is a historic time for cosmology, particularly for CARA due to the CMB
gang of three (Python, Viper, and DASI). Course leaders included J.
Carlstrom, R. Landsberg, and S. Meyer of CARA, M. Turner (U of C, Fermi),
and E. Gates (UofC, Fermi, Adler) S. Burles, S. Dodelson, and R. Kron. See
the Chautauqua forum homepage for more general information ,
27 participants, with 41 applicants even though the course was marked
closed on the Web.
We have 24 evaluations and the ratings for the three categories,
Presentation of Course Director, Contents of Course and Quality of
Handouts, include Excellent, Good, Avg. Fair, and Poor. The evaluations
| Presentation of Course Director||Excellent: 24|
|Contents of Course||Excellent: 21|
|Quality of Handouts||Excellent: 15|
|Should This Course be Offered Again:||Yes/Absolutely 24|
- "Wonderful experience all around",
- "This was a great experience",
- "Very pleased with the course",
- "Well organized and well done",
- "Amazing how much the theories change in 2 years",
- "An excellent course, full of useful information",
- "Expert presenters",
- "Everyone was helpful and encouraging",
- "The field trips were fantastic",
- "The best Chautauqua course I've ever attended",
- "One of the Chautauquas I have attended,"
- "Course was just great",
- "Adler and Fermi Lab were amazing additions",
- "An outstanding course",
- "An outstanding Chautauqua",
- "My first NSF Chautauqua and a real joy",
- "A really excellent short course!",
- "Enjoyment & excitement about their field - evident",
- "So many people were so willing and generous with their time and patience".